Workplace flexibility helps the employees to maintain work-life balance which is very important for the employees to be productive. The main types of workplace flexibility are listed below. They are:
- Flextime: this is a benefit given to the employees where the employees choose the time of the day when they want to work. The employee needs to work for the assigned number of hours in a day but he gets to choose the duration according to his will.
- Flexplace: This is a facility in which the employee gets to decide whether he want to work from home or from a non-office location etc. Employers often consider this option as beneficial for the company too as it helps in reducing the operational cost for the company.
- Expanded leaves: In this arrangement, the companies allow their staff to take expanded leaves. These leave would not be paid leaves but the person remains the employee of the company.
- Partial Retirement: this is an arrangement where in the older employees continue to work for the company on part time basis without any end date of employment.
Such arrangements are instrumental in gaining work-life balance. Employees tend to be more productive when they are able to balance the demands of the workplace with other requirements of their lives. Companies encourage the work-life balance policies because of the following reasons. They are:
- Retention of the employees.
- Commitment to the firm
- Increased productivity
Employees need to fulfill the duties assigned to them at the workplace. The work-life balance policies help the employees to schedule their day as per their will provided they put in the total number of hours required by the company (Demerouti et al, 2014).